Saturday, June 19, 2010

86400 seconds ... it's just enough

I love Saturday mornings and I especially love Saturday mornings in Cairns in the middle of winter.

This morning has been so wonderful. I dutifully headed off to work at 7am. 1 client, 2 classes and 3 hours later I met up with my boys on the Red Arrow walking track in Whitfield. It was just fantastic. F1 greeted me with Hi Mum, I'm so glad you're here and Z2 with a mouth full of 'choc' started telling me about the 'panes' he could see taking off and landing at the airport below. (Choc is a perfectly acceptable low G1 energy replacement when trekking outdoors :).

They had made their way right up to the second lookout, which is hard work for the average Joe, let alone Daddy and two tiny boys that may or may not be willing participants. They were enjoying the view through binoculars when I arrived, so we all sat and took it in. Now when F1 is so happy he doesn't know how to express himself he says "hey Mummy, I've got a birthday party for you". This is the most exciting thing he knows so that's how he tells me things are great. Things were so great this morning he was breaking out into spontaneous renditions of Happy Birthday song complete with hip-rays in chorus with Z2. I love that.

Their delight at this seemingly very basic outdoor experience was amazing to me. There was nothing about it that wasn't a hit. Every tree they passed, the scrub turkeys they saw, even the gum tree stump that F1 had a sit on. And what makes it a hit with me is that now F1 is sound asleep, affording me valuable time to catch up on the basics of life. Z2 took a power nap on the last leg of the downhill, so he's somehow recharged his batteries and is ready for round 2. But that's ok. I would love the rest, but it's nothing compared to the joy these little guys bring to my life.

And I have 86400 seconds everyday to drink it in and enjoy!

I think it's just enough ...

No comments:

Post a Comment