Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How many reasons to be grateful....

Everyday I am grateful that my 20 month old wakes me at 5:05 and leads me to the kitchen to prepare his milk, and then once drunk insists on engaging me completely in matters of toy cars and plastic snakes when I really am supposed to be getting ready for a client at the gym at 6. And I am grateful every evening that my 3.6yr old cries out Mum just before he falls asleep and wants a final cuddle to help him settle, just when I want to relax into a good dose of Jenny Brockey on Insight or do a daily de-brief with Stu.

And why am I grateful? Because their existence is pure joy. Their being in my life adds value that I never knew was missing until it arrived. Because I am one of the luckiest people on the planet to have two beautiful, healthy, happy little boys that love me; and a loving partner who is the most incredible dad; and to live in a country that is safe, and liberated, and free from slavery, extreme poverty and that poor and depraved side of life that unless you've actually seen it, as an Australian it's impossible to believe exists.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to spend some time in Asia and see first hand what is extreme poverty. I was overwhelmed by the smells of asia, especially around the marketplaces in Thailand and Jakarta, and I was confronted by the site of broken people begging in the streets. On more than one occasion I had small children pushed on the ground in front of me to beg.

Today I was reminded of how lucky I am as I listened to Geraldine Cox, founder of Sunrise Children's Villages in Cambodia talk about her work with the extremely poor children of Cambodia. Geraldine is an extraordinary lady who works to change the lives of children born into poverty and destined to a life of begging, often involving violent maiming or disfiguring of the children (think Slum Dog Millionaire), slavery or prostitution. Her stories are confronting and moving and often unbelievable, and at the same time totally heart-wrenching.

As I tuck my little ones in tonight and kiss them off to sleep I am even more grateful than usual because me and my beautiful children do not have to consider life such as that described by Geraldine of her children. There's nothing quite like a little contrast to bring clarity. And I am grateful for Geraldine Cox who does what she does and through this has given me in some small way an opportunity to participate in making change in the lives of the children of Cambodia.

If you don't know of Geraldine have a look at her website http://geraldinecox.org/. Perhaps you will be moved to participate as I was today, to contribute in some small way to making one child's life in Cambodia a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment